Sofia2 is an IoT Platform that offers a set of differential characteristics compared to other solutions:
- Free Experimentation Environment: CloudLab
- Operation and management of the Platform 100% web
- Semantic (light) approach
- Independent communication protocol
- Modular, Extensible y customizable
- Integrated Security
- Multilanguage APIs
- Integrated API Manager
- Integrated Rules and CEP engine
- Integrated Social Media capabilities
- Reference Implementation on Open-Source software
- On-Premise and On-Cloud Deployment
- Integrated Big Data out-of-the-box capabilities
- SW management and centralized device configuration
Free Experimentation Environment: CloudLab
- An Experimentation Environment is within the Platform Offering. In this environment the Platform developers can test all the capabilities of the platform free of charge. This allows to value the Platform.
- In addition there is a CloudLab+ installation of a customized environment with support hours at an affordable price for developing pilots to show the feasibility of a project.
Operation and management of the Platform 100% web
- All the Platform is managed, maintained and operated from a Web Console, from the definition of entities (ontologies), security, client creation, rules, …
- In addition REST APIs are offered for all this management, enabling to integrate this management into other administration consoles
Semantic Approach (light)
- The Platform provides a semantic approach, allowing to use this semantics for queries, analytical processes, …
- A light semantic approach based on JSON is proposed, suitable for all kinds of devices, including the less powerful ones.
- Models created for various domains are offered, as the Smart City and Smart Energy domain. These models can be expanded.
- Create entities under the domains all from the Web Console.
Independent communication protocol
- Messages exchanged between clients and the Platform are independent of the platform, out-of-the-box connectors are offered for MQTT, REST, WebSockets, WebServices and JMS.
- Developers can create new pluggable connectors
Modular, Extensible and Customizable
- The Platform is created with a modular approach which allows to replace the implementation of a module for another one contemplating the interfaces (eg using SAP HANA instead of reference Implementation MongoDB data base).
- The platform is designed to extend with the project using the concept of plugin. Plugins are deployed as JARs and allow you to create new connectors, define an appropriate security model, …
- The installation can be customized as required, installing only the appropriate modules, defining parameterization, …
- Within the Platform, Security is a fundamental concept.
- Security is offered at communication level (HTTPS, MQTTS, …) and also at the level of permissions on entities where they can be private, public or entities with personalized access
- Apart from REST connector that can be used easily from any language, Multilingual APIS are offered when more advanced and efficient protocols are needed.
- The APIs allow an easier communication with the platform.
- All these APIs are offered under Apache license and without cost.
Integrated API Manager
- The APIS as an integration mechanism is already a reality as proven by the great Facebook, Twitter, Google, international Banks, …
- They Allow on one hand to make available as REST APIs the entities managed, allowing to take the Open Data concept the dynamism of REST APIs, also allows to make available External APIs under a RESTful approach offering a unified access.
Rules Engine and integrated CEP Engine
- The platform includes a rules engine that defines in a simple language and through the Web console the rules to be applied before the arrival of an event or data or timed. It allows users with permissions to create in scripting language new reusable logics that can be called from the engine (eg send SMS or mail, …)
- In addition, a CEP engine is included that allows you to define rules in which the time intervenes (eg a certain measure has not arrived during the day) . Clients can subscribe to the event generated by the CEP engine or serve as an input to the Rules egine.
Integrated Social Media Capabilities
- Various searches can be performed from the console (profiles, timeline, groups, hashtags, trends) for the major social networks.
- These searches will remain on the platform for analytical processes
Reference Implementation (RI) on Open-Source Software
- The RI of the Platform is based entirely on open-source software without restrictions, this allows the platform to not involve expensive licenses in its implementation.
- There are other implementations custom made in which some parts are replaced by others (pj HANA instead of Mongo and Hadoop, Oracle CEP engine instead of WSO2 CEP Engine,…)
On-Premise and On-Cloud Deployment
- The platform can be installed On-Premise and On-Cloud, either public or private.
- Various operating models and various types of support are included depending on the needs of the organization.
- On cloud you can opt for a PaaS model that is charged by the built infrastructure or SaaS in which it is charged by the number of messages processed or TB used.
Integrated Big Data out-of-the-box Capabilities
- The Platform natively integrates a Big Data approach, so that for each entity (ontology) we can define when data passes from the RTDB (Real Time database) to the HDB (historical database) (RI on Hadoop).
- The Platform integrates capabilities for online queries both on RTDB as on the HDB
- The platform allows to launch analytical processes on the BDH in an easy and integrated way.
SW Management and centralized device configuration
- In addition to the multi-language APIs, a Java infrastructure is offered for building applications for self-managed embedded devices.
- From the center console we can load the SW and the configuration of each device or group of devices so that it is available through this infrastructure